Wednesday, October 31, 2007

And the winner is...

Me! (really, when you see what the answers are...I'm totally the winner here)

But the winner of the Special Prize is Mark (see below with cute wife and cute baby). Who is related. Which is why he won. See comment below:

"It had to be Ryan with the Romney OCD gene doing the midnight cleaning right?"


Yes, those Romneys have quite the "things must always look nice" gene going on (have you ever seen Mitt with a hair out of place? No.) So, it was kind of a trick quiz. I knew you would assume that the mom did all the cleaning stuff...not this mom.

So the answers are:


Whisked child into the bathroom and commanded child to not move until instructed to do so?
1. R--a little gruffer in the middle of the night than we'd like him to be (but he makes up for it later on).


Thought "Dang! No Pilates class tomorrow" (due to sick child staying home from school)?
2. J--I swear, always my first thought is "How is this going to screw up my day tomorrow?" : Bad mom (see Celia's post today)

Immediately pulled out the following item and cleaned the whole carpet, rinsing 3 times, at 1 am. (Prompting Emma to say upon awakening, "I saw the carpet cleaner and knew ___ must have been up cleaning someone's throw up last night.")?
3. R--Oh yes...shocking, I know! I would never be as thorough as he is, so he prefers to do it. Really.

Wondered if he/she could avoid coming into contact with barfer(or any other potentially germy member of the family) for the next 72 hours?
4. R--Also completely freaked out by germs when any of us are sick....won't sleep in the same bed with me after he finds out I'm sick (like the kiss we had an hour ago didn't already infect him?)


Constructed this elaborate blanket/tablecloth pathway from sick bed to toilet, complete with buckets along the way for stray barf?
5. R--I always have to make fun of this particular anal-ness.


Drew a bath and comforted sick child?
6. J--this is really the only thing I am good at due to #7

Retched and retched and retched while trying to at least contribute to massive clean up going on?

7. J--I have a sympathetic barfing response. It makes me pretty un-helpful during these episodes.

Wondered how soon he/she could return to bed, before spouse felt gypped?
8. J--I'm kind of just standing around watching Ryan clean, and so I wonder when I can sneak off to bed without being a complete jerk.

Instituted a "barf training class" tonight before putting children to bed, lest someone else come down with the bug overnight?
9. R--He's been doing these for a few years now. Maybe overkill but definitely hilarious.

Refused to allow starving child near any food the next morning until lunchtime, while other parent tried to plead starving child's case?
10. R--Probably because he's the cleaner-upper, he's a lot more paranoid about their eating anything...whereas I operate from the notion that "Food makes everything better."


So, should you ever have this happen at your house...we've prepared this special "BARF TRAINING" video. Feel free to use it for your kids.




So congrats Mark! I had a girly prize in mind, but we'll figure something out for you! Thanks for playing!

29 comments:

Bridget said...

OH my gosh!!! That was so funny!! I love the "hierarchy of things we care about" library books being low on the scale apparently! THanks for the laugh. It makes dealing with all these annoying teenage trick or treaters at my door right now a little easier.

Celia Fae said...

Seriously? Does he really think this is going to work?

I'll tell you what works. Being forced to clean up your own barf after you barfed it. You can ask my mother about that handy method. Retch much?

Jessica, that was so fun. I'm mad I didn't enter because I would have won. I think Ryan and Carl are related. Does Ryan always want to know where the germ came from? Like you have a vector map of the disease? At our house, it always comes from "Paige's kids." Even if we haven't seen them in months.

They are pretty infectious.

Matthews Family said...

I know I have the OCD thing too, but I am so glad I married a husband who will clean almost as good as me. He cleaned up every one of Paige's vomiting last week when she was sick.

Jill said...

Awesome!! I love it. My husband cleans better than me at times too. Yippee. Oh how nice it is to have a fabulous hubby. Great post. That was hilarious.

Lisa-Marie said...

H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!

"I don't care about the library books. They aren't ours!"

Thanks for preparing next week's Family Night for me! This is very important stuff.

Penny said...

Excellent video...I think we will all be enforcing the "barf training" at our homes. I have that retching problem myself, so Todd does most of the barf clean up too. We are lucky girls, aren't we?

That was SOOOO FUNNY!!

mandy* said...

Why do you kids look so excited about barfing???? Super hilarious!!!

Mark said...

Yes! I love being the winner! What kind of girly? Like grown up girly or little kid girly? Mandy might enjoy grown up girly.

Lorena said...

I really should be in bed, instead I am learning about what to do when there is "fire in my gut". Thanks for the laugh. It will definitely be on the agenda for the next FHE.

Brigitta said...

I loved that video. Thanks for the laugh. He does such a good job at being serious and sincere about teaching them the proper technique. I'm am the cleaner in my house and germ maniac so I totally relate to Ryan.

The Hansen Clan said...

I literally just fell off my chair while watching this... thank you so much for the laugh. Brooke and Katelyn WILL be required to watch this video monthly and be tested to ensure proper barf technique comprehension. The best part is that I know that Ryan is 100% serious about every word he says in the video. My question is, does the bucket always stay by the bed now? Or is it just there when the child doesn't feel well?

Erika said...

you should u-tube this and make money- so funny

Cami said...

I must admit I knew it was Ryan (although I didn't have time to do the very creative Q&A). Although Cam wouldn't actually clean this stuff up, he is the one who would be barking orders to put down blankets on the floor and towels everywhere, etc. That's what gave it away to me. In his defense though, he did operate the carpet cleaning machine last time we had barf everywhere.

Brown Sugar said...

We tried to relive barf training at our house, but it wasn't the same. Matthew and I were not having as much fun. For christmas I am going to give Ryan that sawdust that they through on barf at elementary schools.

Anonymous said...

The video made me cry I was laughing so hard- at work even (kind of embarrassing). I was glad to learn that the carpet comes before other people on the no-barg heirarchy. I guess a bath is easier than cleaning the carpet, unless you are the one who was thrown up on. I love our blog, and claim you as my friend, since I am Paige's friend. Thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

As the secretary of the board of the Friends of the Liberty Lake Municipal Libary I really feel like I should say something here...

LOL

Paige said...

I totally knew every single answer and am too late to play. I hope you don't have to clean any barf today. And if you did that Ryan didn't get mad at you for your gag reflex. But I'm sure your house is spiffy and your kids are well comforted by you, so you have a lucky combo.

shauna said...

Your training may come under fire today if your kids ate most of their candy like mine did. I hope all that training doesn't go right out the window and right into the bucket instead--you know how stage fright is!

You all know what the handles on WalMart plastic bags are for in this situation, right? Place the handles over both ears. . .my disclaimer--just so we understand, the bag hangs down UNDER the chin, never, never OVER the head.

You picked the perfect time to release this treasure--I hope it hits the big time!

PS Thank you for the very special treat you left in my candy comment basket, I am not worthy.

Hollyween said...

I'm in love with the training video. I laughed my butt off. I think I'm as passionate about barf as your husband. I despise barf. One time when I was little though I threw up all over my sister's face. I still smile a little when I think about it.

Anisa said...

That was really cute. Once again, you are the funniest people I know. I can't believe after all of our book club discussions that Ryan's cleanliness thing didn't come up.

Jill said...

Where are you...are you ever going to check out my blog today!!??!!!

Jake said...

that was soooo cute! it was fun to see your kids live! how did you make the video and do the You Tube thing? i would like lessons...

now i feel that we are real friends since i have been inside your house and seen your bathroom. i am going to play it for my kids tomorrow.

so so so so so fun! thanks for making puke seem fresh and exciting!

D-dawg said...

First of all, I feel like I'm so late on this post and I hate being a late commenter. Second, your husband reminds me of my husband! Sitting them down and giving them this big old talk and it probably won't work! But it was worth a try. That was SO SO SO funny. Loved it!

Celia Fae said...

HOW COULD YOU?

How could you forsake me for the Princess of Putrescence?

One bad week, and this is what I get?

bloggingchristy said...

Thanks for the video! Stacey threw up the same night that Seth did. It was in our room, our room still smells like throw up. Greg stayed in bed. The joys of parenting

Ilene said...

You are turning into the comment-getting queen! Paige and Celia better watch out.

Jackson threw up last Friday (nasty pepperoni pizza). What do I get from Dan? Him coming to shut the bedroom door which I left open as I dealt with the putrid mess. Let's just say the next morning I REFUSED to wake up with the kids.

Randi said...

OH, I just watched your video and I laughed so hard. My husband does the same thing with the buckets, and he uses towels to make paths to the bathroom when someone doesn't feel good. I never thought to video the barf training, though. That. Is. Awesome.

heidiram said...

This was too funny. Absolutely loved it!

kara jayne said...

SO GOOD! totally something my hubby would have done. I like you guys more and more every post!