Sunday, October 7, 2007

Purposely Untitled to Ensure a Surprise Ending

So this is what happened:

Yesterday the kids and I decided to decorate our van in celebration of Ryan's marathon completion. We picked up a bunch of his favorite foods (if you can't pig out after a marathon, when can you?) and wrote all over the car windows with CONGRATULATIONS, WE LOVE YOU DAD, etc. After a crazy airplane delay, Ryan was coming home very late. I called him, to ask where he was (to prepare the celebrations) and he said he was minutes away. I hurriedly backed our van out of the driveway, left it parked all diagonally (for better effect) and ran back inside. Ryan came in, enjoyed his party and we went to bed.

We woke up this morning, watched A.M. conference, and got ready to go to brunch at some friends' house. Emma walked outside and came back in: "Mom, where's the van?" "Oh, hun, you forgot we put it in the driveway, instead of the garage." "No, mom, I checked both places. It's not there." I'd left the keys in the car, in my haste at trying to get ready for Ryan's return.

I began, in tears, calling friends, hoping they would reveal their practical-car-stealing-joke. No luck. We called the police, couldn't get through and began cancelling credit cards. Of course, the purse was in the car. We tried the police again. This time they answered. I told her our car had been stolen and she replied, "I know where it is. I'll be at your house in a minute." She came over, got the info and told us that she'd seen an abandoned blue van parked by a hotel in town, with writing all over it, and could we go over and identify?

So, end of the story: We got the van (and my coat, which I was hoping was gone, so I would have to replace it) back. We didn't get our stereo back, or my wallet, or our whole cash budget for 2 weeks, or our camera (the reason there will be no pictures for a while), or my MP3 player or my gift card for Aeropostale THAT I'D NEVER USED. We're grateful that we don't have to replace that van (since it's worth like, $5000, maybe). We wish we didn't have to go through the identity theft protection process, as well as getting new IDs, credit cards and cameras (bad luck with those!). But, we'll be fine. Let us know if you see any meth-heads with a tan/brown/pink striped purse, or a semi-nice camera, okay?

p.s. Some friends came to pick up the kids while we sorting everything out, and at their lunch prayer they reported that Jane prayed, "Please bless that guys stole our car and we will find it." So that's probably why we found it.

p.s.s. I just went upstairs and found this note (accompanied by 7 dollars and 12 cents): "you may use me mony --{heart} Emma". How sweet is that? She had been worried earlier, asking, "How much money do we have in our house now, Mom?" and I told her, "We have money in the bank. We have enough, it'll be fine." But she apparently wanted to contribute anyway.

17 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my gosh, I am feeling sooooooo badly for you right now. What a horrible thing to have happen. ahhhhh! That totally sucks. I can't believe someone just happened to be out looking to steal a car and they happened to find yours and the keys happened to be in it. What luck. Oh, I am so so sorry. You probably feel like you have no more privacy and were completely invaded huh? I've had my purse stolen from my car before, but NOTHING was stolen and I found it in a bush down the street from my house. LUCKY! Anyways, that note from Emma is adorable. How precious. I hope you can resolve things quickly and restore your identity again. What a nightmare!!!!
Oh, but that was awesome what you did for your hubby!! How was his race? My sister-in-law ran it in 3 hrs and 46 min. When she finished she said her vision was starting to go dark and she was shaking, teeth chattering, kind of in shock. Sounds like a blast!!! LOL.

Tammy said...

Jessica....I am so glad you got the van back. That is no laughing matter. The funny thing is that this story sounds just like you....I bet you have lost at least 10 wallets in your life? :( Just for that, I am sending you a new wallet and purse because I love you. And because you are always thinking of other people, doing nice things....and getting the van painted and planning the whole fun thing and in doing all that, you got busy and forgetful. So you deserve to have a fun new purse!!! Watch for the mail!

Tammy said...

By the way, Emma is such a sweetie. What a good girl you have raised.

Paige said...

WAAAAH! I am so sorry you have to go through all this. Serious bummer. And I am most sad about your MP3 and Aeropostale cards and camera. The rest is replaceable.

At least you didn't accidentally leave Seth in the car. It could happen.

Hollyween said...

This is such a sad story!! I once had my car broken into and although my story wasn't as bad as yours, you feel SOOOO VIOLATED!!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!! I'm so glad you got your car back though. I think I'd be most sad about the camera, MP3 player, money and gift card. The camera especially. You sound like you have a good attitude about it though. Maybe by some miracle you'll get your other stuff back. Hey, it could happen!

Lorena said...

I am so sorry...and I sort of made fun of you on the post I just did and now I am thinking I want to delete it in your honor.

I was afraid you were going to say that your van rolled down the driveway and hit a bunch of cars in its path. I don't know which would be worse!

Who would steal a highly-decorated van parked diagonally in someone's driveway?

I hope everything works out OK.

So cute about Jane and Emma!

Ilene said...

That just sucks. I know we don't like that word but that is the tamest word I can come up with.

I will keep my eyes out for your purse. Let me know if you need babysitting help whilst you are out running around getting new IDs and such.

Any insurance help?

Celia Fae said...

Jessica, I want you to know that Paige was so concerned about your plight that she had to call me on vacation and tell me about it. I'm glad you found your car, and I'm jealous that you get a new camera. Bummer on the rest of the stuff.

Cami said...

So, time to move back to Utah, yet? LOL
Seriously, I am so sorry. That's scary and must feel awful.
Sorry you didn't lose your coat, though. Way to look for the positive.

Carie said...

I don't know what to say . . . other than I am sorry and that really really SUCKS (stinks).

Does your car or homeowners insurance cover any of the stolen items?

what a blessing to have such great kids, you are an awesome mom.

Anonymous said...

Jessica - how frightening! I just called Ryan and discussed the homeowner's insurance with him. Also talked about changing the locks on the house.

Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Kirbell said...

Yikes. I'm so sorry. I'm going to lock up my van right now.

Jake said...

Just clicked over from Celia Fae's blog...and could not believe this really happened!!!! Thank goodness for the happy ending. Wow. Sometimes when bad things happen, dontcha just think, "Well...at least I'll have a really awesome post on my blog..." Glad it all worked out...

Nortorious said...

Uhhh, what a big fat hassle. I hate dealing with unexpected car things, especially when they're mysteriously missing. Usually mine are towed.
Back on blog:
http://nortorious.blogspot.com

Celia Fae said...

I am dying over Jane's Satan's Way comment. Tell her I also like to follow that way sometimes. And don't wreck my birthday by sending birthday wishes early.

Adrianne said...

Terrible. But just a tip - when my car was stolen my homeowner's insurance replaced anything in the car that normally belongs in the house - MP3 player, camera, etc. Call them and find out.

kara jayne said...

I am so sorry you had to deal with that!! And when you were trying to be so thoughtful too! Emma sounds like a sweetie. Reminds me of my Ella. Hope the barrage of phone calls and follow up you will have to do wont be too frustrating. I can't even imagine all the itentity info to go through. Take care