Sunday, August 19, 2007

Girls Camp

(WARNING: not funny, or short. Just all serious and spiritual.)

This will be a nice Sunday post. I've been waiting to blog about Girls Camp, waiting for the picture CD I ordered, because the only ones I have from the girls are not so flattering of me. Not that I was a beauty at Girls Camp...I was just hoping for something better than this:

So, that's your girls camp photo for the post...(although maybe I'll have to include some of my cute YCLs later on). I'm participating in the bishop's fireside skit and it was a million degrees and I did not want that ratty bathrobe on. But moving on...

Girls' Camp was truly one of the highlights of my summer. I didn't like Girls' Camp growing up (not much of a camper, needed to keep makeup on to cover my zits, kept moving around so I didn't feel close to the girls, didn't like the huggy-I'm-your-best-friend-until-we-get-home thing) but have gone a few times as an adult and always loved it. This time just blew me away, however. In the interest of time, I thought I would list some of the reasons it was so great for me:

1. Working with YCLs who were incredibly dedicated and kind, with testimonies and a depth of understanding that I never had at their age.

2. Not cooking a meal for 5 straight days.

3. The outdoor shower (for leaders only). They had a shower (like the one in your bathroom) hooked up to a hose in the middle of a grove of trees. I felt like I was on Survivor.

4. Having such an amazing friend/co-YCL-leader. Jill Nelson is my buddy for life.

5. Hanging out and talking talking talking talking to all the fun stake leaders in the stake camp.

6. The fact that my air mattress worked perfectly and never got flat. Mine was the winner in the whole tent.

7. That girls/women can spend 5 days looking crazy, doing outdoor athletic stuff, singing stupid songs, feeling the Spirit and stretching themselves without ever wondering whether people (boys, popular girls) will think they are lame. We need more of that in the world.

8. Reading the scriptures each day for an hour. Really, it was fun. And I'm totally doing it now that I'm home every day. (Except subtract 45 minutes, the mountain view, the Hilary Weeks song playing in the background and add fighting kids and me falling asleep.)

9. Feeling the Spirit witness to me constantly that the organizations of the church are ordained of God, that our youth are truly exceptional and prepared for the last days and that any time we serve in our callings with all our hearts, we get WAY more out of it than we ever put into it.

I am grateful that Heavenly Father allows me to serve in callings. What a blessing.







5 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Paige is going to be so jealous. She is dying to go to camp. Thanks for showing your vulnerable underbelly to all of us. I liked it.

Cami said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time. I probably would've liked girls camp a lot more if you were one of my leaders, Jessica. (although I loved my leaders, so may be I just didn't like girls camp...oh well) Thanks for sharing your experiences.

brooke romney said...

Sounds like so much fun. I am also amazed at the teenagers these days--the are so spectacular. I bet they loved having you there!

Ilene said...

Bravo to you for going to Girls Camp. I couldn't do it at our last ward. I grew up with Girls camp having cabins, flushing toilets, warm water showers. . . I seriously have issues with port-a-potties. Actually, I just have issues.

Paige said...

Some day I will make it to camp. Once I learn to be OK with rules.