Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Book Review 8

I'm totally chugging my way through my book stack. I know you are all cheering me on, so here's the latest. It's a tough one.

I do not like depressing, and I am easily upset by things (especially post-children-having), but sometimes (very rarely) I feel like it's important to force ourselves to read (watch/listen to) to the unhappy to realize a) how lucky we are b) to educate ourselves c)have greater compassion for things outside ourselves. This is why I read the following book:
It's a memoir of a boy from Sierra Leone and his experience running from and fighting (at 12 years old) the civil war that his country was experiencing. I read it in 2 days because I had to get to the "happy ending" which I knew was coming because he wrote the book, right? It was beautifully written and totally educating and inspired in me much gratitude and humility for my blessings. I was reminded again that no matter where we live, male or female, we have the same feelings and desires and I was grateful to Ishmael Beah for surviving and recording his losses and his triumphs.
Read it if you're brave enough.

7 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Not brave enough. Or smart enough. Thanks for the excellent recap, though.

Lorena said...

OK, I just want to know where you find the time to do all this! If there is some trade housewife secret that I am missing out on, please fill me in!!

Paige said...

That's two impressive ones in a row. You need the Manny.

D-dawg said...

I might try it. Depending on my emotions next time I need a new book. Sometime I can handle stuff like that and sometimes I can't. I have been reading a ton lately too and I love it.

Adrianne said...

a book?? It's been so long I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it. And you know how I used to love to read... someone just told me about one that is about vampire love by a BYU alumni that is so great the 4th in the series knocked Harry Potter off the #1 spot? Have you read those??

Tiffany said...

Hey Jess -- I "tagged" you. Read my blog and humor me!

Celia Fae said...

DEar Jessica,
Please come back to us. I am bored with your new resolve to blog less.
Love, Celia