Tuesday, August 7, 2007

2 for the road

Here's the latest in my progression through my book stack.

In case you haven't heard: Twilight is really good. It's a fun read and a little twisted (both in subject matter and plot) and I think that the author looks like the main character, don't you? So, at girls' camp, I really tried to pay attention to my cute YCLs but Edward was calling my name and I was constantly trying to find excuses to sneak back to my tent. This is a fun one. Ryan's listening on the MP3 and is enjoying it as well. (I wonder if it's supposed to be a teenage girl book and now he will be embarrassed?)










This book was recommended by Ryan's mission companions, (they served in the Baltic countries of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia). Um, it's 600 pages. And this is a random sampling: "But if Gorbachev, intended to appear the humanist Party man, a Soviet Dubcek, he could not look to the fury of Lenin's State and Revolution or his bloody-minded letters and cables ("we must kill more professors!") after the Bolshevik coup. To highlight a slight more forgiving Leninist canon..." Okay...I KNOW you could not read even that excerpt. I try to be well-read and I read lots of non-fiction and I would love to impress people by mentioning all the ins and outs of the fall of the USSR...but I couldn't do it. I would not recommend trying...unless you've been on a mission to the former Soviet Union and you don't have anything better to do for the next year.

3 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Question: Would you let Edward place his cold lips on your vulnerable warm throat? Are you ready to convert?

Brigitta said...

I am in the middle of Twilight. I am trying to finish it soon, and then we can talk.

Lorena said...

After Celia's comment I think I am going to go read Twilight!