Monday, August 27, 2007

The Agony and the Ectasy

Anyone who hangs out with Sherrills (my maiden name) for very long knows this: we are always up for "seeing stuff" as my brother Nate used to call it. If it is the longest, the oldest, in any way historical, has a tour associated with it, requires a road trip to see it, if we are invited by anyone to come along to it...we're there. So when we heard that Silver Mountain in Idaho had:

we felt compelled to participate.

There was a small problem.

My mother and I have a small heights phobia. And this gondola was 3.1 miles long. And it was very high. And my kids were going to press on the windows and doors.

What could we do? We were caught between two very strong compulsions. To see something and deal with sweaty palms and pounding hearts? Or admit defeat?

We triumphed.

(don't let her smile fool you. She was more scared than me. We found if we faced the back and required the children not to move and distracted ourselves by asking Seth to do tricks, we could handle those hideous bumps and pauses that made us want to cry.)

And now we can say, we've been on the world's longest gondola. Let us know if you need our enthusiasm on any of your "seeing stuff" adventures...we'll be all over it.

6 comments:

Adrianne said...

Um, I have Evit's Casa Rosada, the waterfalls from the movie "The Mission", world famous PATAGONIA... You're invited!

Paige said...

Oh yeah, heights suck. I get to the top of everything (Eiffel tower, Half Dome) and have to crawl around on the ground so I can't see over or accidentally "fall" thru the very tiny and close together bars (what if I suddenly lose 110 lbs?) Jeff loves heights and loves to scare me. It's mean so I throw up on him.

Celia Fae said...

I just choked on my spit while I was laughing. I love your face in the first picture. Am I happy? Tense? Way to give in to compulsion. OCD wins every time.

Cami said...

Cool! Good for you! The view had to be worth it!

D-dawg said...

I hate heights too. Good for you for defying your fear!

Ilene said...

I'm with you. I hate those kind of things. . . ferris wheels and those rickety bridges over rivers. I especially hate those people (typically males) who feel the need to rock the aforementioned ferris wheel basket or bridge.

Now that I have kids the challenge is not to pass my paranoias over to them. Bravo to you!