Sunday, September 2, 2007

Paradise Lost

When I first brought up the idea of a blog to Jessica, I thought it would be a fun outlet for creativity. I had this picture in my mind of sitting on the couch a couple of nights a week after the kids had gone to bed and discussing what had happened in the past few days and laughing about it as we harvested pictures off of our camera. I just thought it would be something worthwhile to do together.

I was young and naive back then. Jessica took to blogging right away. I was at first pleased by how readily she got into "my idea." Little did I realize that this snowball was just getting started to roll. There were so many things I didn't realize back then:
  1. I didn't realize that she would want to read other people's blogs every single day.
  2. I didn't realize the comment lust that would develop.
  3. I didn't realize that random person linked on a friend of Paige's sister's blog would have to be added to the list of blogs to check.
  4. I didn't realize that a woman's capacity to be interested in the lives of others (even those known only by their sign in name) is so vast and un-ending.
  5. I didn't realize what addiction really was.

Thankfully, Jessica is wise enough to have inched back from the blogging abyss to an almost safe distance. Now the problem is that she has emasculated for me the entire process of blogging to the point that I feel like I should have a skirt (or at least a Shade shirt) on to post a blog.

12 comments:

zeeny said...

I think you would look just fine in a skirt. In fact, if you show up to the next mission get together in a skirt I am sure a poesm would be written about you. I have tottally been bitten by the blog but but Barzee hasn't quiet yet!

Lorena said...

Dear Ryan-

I pretty much hide my addiction from Dane. He is not aware of how many people's blogs I check, every day, a few times a day. Should I come clean?

--Blogaholic in Arizona

Abbie said...

my six rules to blog addiction recovery

1. only look at blogs of people i know
2. comment sparingly
3. only check blogs twice a week
4. 2 post per week max
5. no rambling on blog posts or comments (rule 5 broken)
6. don’t be jealous of prettier blogs

Paige said...

Abbie sounds like no fun now that the addiction is tamed. You are lucky we got her blog reader, now I have much more time to shop online.

Jeff could have written this post, if he blogged. I think you would look better in a shade tankini.

Celia Fae said...

Ryan, can you just let a girl have some fun? I am impressed that Jessica has tamed her addiction slightly, although my stats are suffering because of it. Have you asked her why she likes it? I like it because it helps me feel connected to the outside world. Plus, I have all of these new friends. I never have to explain anything to anyone.

If you go with the skirt, please shave before you put on pantyhose.

Jeff said...

I'm just glad they haven't discovered Twitter...uh oh

Carie said...

Maybe you should just encourage her other talents . . . like more reading? Oh wait, you don't want her to do that either.

Jessica said...

Snarky comments not appreciated Miss Caroline.

D-dawg said...

Don't worry, the addiction comes and goes. It's been almost 2 years for me and I can now say that I'm not as obsessed with it as I once was. There are blogging phases everyone must go through. And I think it's good to have rules so that family doesn't suffer. But it is too much fun to quit completely!!! And a great way to keep in touch with old friends.

Nortorious said...

I'm glad my husband doesn't know what a shade shirt is.
If you're trapped on the couch feeding your baby, trapped in your house while your baby is napping, or just trapped because its too hot to get in the car, then blogging is welcome contact with the real world. Many activities happen just so we have things to blog about!

Ilene said...

I like to think of my blog addiction as a way to ensure that I won't be translated tomorrow. This little obsession keeps me human enough to stick around and raise the children and continue to perfect my husband. That is my sound reasoning, anyway.

Hey Jessica. Check out this blog: http://www.musingsandmisadventures.blogspot.com/

It is a friend of a friend of a friend's blog. She writes some fun stuff.

Adrianne said...

Ryan, you get more comments than Jessica - clearly you are a very popular guest writer and you should continue to take advantage of this opportunity to develop your talent for humorous writing. Developing your talents is a commandment, so really we're all just working towards eternal perfection.