Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Games We Play


(this is by Ryan...you'll be able to tell because it gets a little violent near the end.--Jessica)

It is a lot of fun having your kids get old enough to play games with you that don't make you want to gauge your eyeballs out where try as you might, you can never get to the end (i.e. Candyland, Chutes&Ladders, Trouble, Sorry, etc.). They constantly taunt you by making you think someone is about to win and thus end the game. Yet, just as the end is within grasp the rug gets pulled out from under you.

The main problem is that my ability to hold my temper with people forgetting to keep going, or crying because of a cruel turn of fate, or fistfighting over poleposition in a game is similar to my ability to hold my bladder. I can gear myself up to manage the discomfort as long as I need to. However, I have to gear up for it. Oddly, when the end is in sight, your body intuitively starts to know that it is near and all of the sudden every sinew is required to keep from exploding due to the the long displayed restraint. Whether it be a rest stop on a long road trip or the end of a long played kids game, the intensity of feeling is much the same.

Luckily Blokus is nothing like those other teases. It marches toward a tangible end in a forthright manner. It is fun and interesting and even though the 50% of the conversation consists of "who's turn is it?" "Did you go yet?" etc. We still love it. Jessica beat us all by a landslide tonight. But Gabe and Emma held their own. I love the game and love playing something fun like that as a family.

So next time your kids smack down a "SORRY" on you just as you approach the home stretch, don't push your 4 little blue guys into the laughing to tears, eye sockets of the 5 year old across from you. Simply tell your kids you need to go to the bathroom, then drive to Walmart and pickup Blokus. By the time you get back every one will either be searching for you in tears wishing they hadn't stuck you with the SORRY card or more likely they will be watching TV unaware that you even left. Either way, you didn't have to finish the game.

13 comments:

Bridget said...

I will have to get this game. I've read about it on a couple posts now. I love the analogy of holding your pee to enduring a game with small children. So true.

My husband Nathan and I can NOT play games together though. As poor, newlywed students we would play Sorry for date night. We would be up until 2am playing that stupid game because neither of us could go to bed having lost the last round.

Ilene said...

I come from a HUGE game playing family. My mom has nerves of steel and would play countless games of Sorry with us. I can barely handle Candyland now with Jackson. I didn't get that kid-playing game gene from her.

Watch out if you ever do have to leave to use the restroom during a game. That is the prime time for the other players to cheat. Not that I would know or anything.

Hollyween said...

Can a five year old play this game? I really need to know because I'm sick of ALL the games I have. Hence, yesterday's GO Fish post.

Brown Sugar said...

We dont play games at my house. My husband claims that a game of SKIPBO ended his parents marriage.

Celia Fae said...

I will add this one to the list of fantasies about my famiy. Playing games with the kids. The part at the end where your kid has become distracted? Excellent parenting.

Carie said...

Sadly, I have been caught playing Candyland, Go Fish, and Hulabaloo this week. (I was sick and captive on the couch and the kids kept bringing games to play.)

The worst is when my non-readers, non-math kids beg to play Pirates Life or Monopoly. I refuse.

SO I am off to purchase Blokus to promote family peace and eye health. Thanks for the suggestion.

Penny said...

This game you speak of, is this the same game that you admittedly stole from the Barnett's?

It sounds fun! A lot better than the marathon that is Candyland.

Lorena said...

OK, we'll go out and purchase this, mostly so we can say we played with the kids.

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad to have an objective view on this game, it is on our Christmas list and now, thanks to you will be moved straight to the top! So sad that I feel your game playing pain...all of it rings true to me!

Jill said...

Sweet, I totally want to play it now. Our family LOVES games, especially my brother-in-law. All he ever wants to do is play games. Good Christmas gift idea!! Thanks :)

Brigitta said...

We (mostly me and my oldest son) love playing games. We will have to put that one our things to buy list.

shauna said...

Can you guys do an instuctional video?! I learn much better by watching things.

Kristin said...

We love this game, even our two year old will play and actually understands the rules which is so surpising to me.