Tuesday, January 22, 2008

7 Things Tag

I got tagged about a week ago by Laurie. I haven't done it yet, because, frankly what haven't I already revealed? It took me a week to come up with some things:

1. I'm older than my uncle. Which probably isn't all that exciting in Mormondom, but I thought I'd mention it. My mom's dad died, my grandma remarried and had two more boys when my own mother was having babies. Cade, see his family blog here...oh wait, they don't have one, so never mind (ahem--Stacy!), is 3 years older than me and Dane, married to the lovely Lorena, is 4 months younger. You know what that meant? It meant lots and lots of fun when it was time to visit Grandma. Here's to the funniest (truly), most creative and most loyal uncles ever!


(Cade, holding brother Sam, brother Nate, Dane, brother Matt, the lovely 7th grade Jessica)

2. I have a numbers thing. It comes from the Sherrill side of the family. I could wile away the hours (and do, on the treadmill) thinking about "if I have this sort of calorie deficit today, than I will lose this much weight per week, which will translate into this total loss by summer" or "if we sell our Utah rental house for x dollars in 2009, than we can pay off our Spokane rental house and have this much leftover". I love it. I relate all things in percentages (ask my husband) and can remember birthdays and phone numbers like no body's business.


3. I eat chocolate in the middle of the night. I wake up (and have since I was a teenager) and need chocolate washed down with milk. I can be the calorie consumption Nazi all day and at 3am I will forget all of it and chow down. It's really like I can't reason at that point. I will sometimes (out of embarrassment) have to hide the following evidence: crumbs on the table, wrappers in the trash, glass with milk ring left in it, magazine out (I like to read while I eat). Ryan used to (still does?) get upset when there would be 5 cookies left at bedtime...and none when he woke up in the morning. It's bad.

4. I, with a friend, stopped a couple from pickpocketing us in Barcelona, Spain by catching them, shoving them up against a McDonalds' window, holding them till the cops came and then filing a police report entirely in Spanish. Have I not already referred to my Awesomeness?

5. I have a "keep things from getting messy" deficiency in my brain. It's like poor Ryan has 5 kids when it comes to messes. I'm not kidding. I really honestly always have drips on my shirt or am accidentally missing the bowl when pouring ingredients in, or don't realize that this action will lead to this mess. The whole problem here is...I like things neat. So making my house neat, is that much harder because everything I do makes a huge mess.

6. The first words Ryan spoke to me were: "If we are going to get married, shouldn't we go on a date?" Seriously. Our parents had been trying to set us up for so long (I'd be at BYU, and come home, and then he'd be gone, etc. etc.) that it had become a family joke. So much so, that Ryan before he'd ever met me would refer to Jessica Sherrill "The Mother of His Children". So it was that he proposed during our first phone call. Who knew?


7. I like potluck/buffet food. I am a good cook and I can appreciate all kinds of food. I love special cheeses and weird vegetables. I cook with Anise seed and fresh goat cheese. I also LOVE Golden Corral and Sweet Tomatoes. I LOVE potlucks at church. I am not grossed out by the germ possibilities. And I love variety in food so much that I think potlucks are the most fun ever. All you food snobs can laugh, as I cook you under the table, but any old time you want to hit Chuck A Rama...I'm there.

33 comments:

crystal said...

1. Ryan looks like Tom Cruise in your wedding photo. In a good way.

2. I somehow missed that you love to cook. Me too! Let's do a dinner swap! (i really have no idea where you live, though.)

3. I totally love Chuckarama! That's so funny! Mike makes fun of me & refuses to go. He's a germ-a-phobe. (I'm a hungry-phobe.)

4. I am seriously not avoiding emailing you with my SIL update! I just keep forgetting. Nag me.

5. I am SO. EXCITED. for Blogapalooza! Can't wait.

crystal said...

Oh, and I forgot. Regarding #4:

You are bad-a$$.

Sally said...

Excellent post. My marriage is also a product of being set up. And I too like to cook and I'd almost consider myself a foodie but for the fact that I like the lowbrow food too. Move to Danville and we'll start a cooking co-op.

Lauren in GA said...

Thanks to Laurie for tagging you! I enjoyed that ever so much!

Awww! The romance of an arranged marriage! I think it is seriously cool that Ryan called you the mother of his children before you even met.

So...how did you stop pickpockets like that? Holey Moley!

zeeny said...

I have a thing for numbers too but I don't have a thing for buffet. Maybe I'm snobby and think my cooking is better then others! Also, germ possibilities freak me out! Fun learning some new things about you!

gab said...

Now that I know you so well...none of these surprise me, except the Chuckarama thing. Love the photos too!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

That was cute! I too have an uncle younger than me--by a month. My mom's mom & my mom were prego @ the same time. (yep--fairly common in Mormonville) To make him mad growing up, my sisters and I would call him 'UNCLE' and make a big deal out of it. For some reason it tortured him, so of course that made us do it more. Oh, and I too would love to hear more about the pickpocket saga. Such bravery!

Bridget said...

Yeah, I love the story of you playing undercover cop! I'll second Crystal you are one bad a*# mamma!

I have a number thing too! As me my license plate number on my car when I was 16 yrs old, my phone number when I was 10, I know it. So weird. Glad I have a soul mate that way.

and btw, you were a beautiful bride!

shauna said...

Do you like seafood? Cause when you come to visit uncle dane, we're totally going to the best seafood buffet in town. I just wish they had scones and honey like chuck-a-rama.

Audry said...

That's fun, my kids are both older than there uncle. But that's a whole other story.

D-dawg said...

Great list Jessica! I am with you on the liking things neat but being messy so it's extra work. I hate it. And I might start eating chocolate in the middle of the night. That sounds fun.

kara jayne said...

Now there is something that we are not alike on...I can't cook. I need lessons. I do however enjoy a good potluck! Fun fun post!

Laurie said...

Dan's mom set us up too! While he was on his mission, I met her at my parents' house and she said "You should marry my son." HA. She sent him my picture and for the rest of his mission he told people I was his girlfriend, even though he'd never met me. Says something for arranged marriages, no?

Ilene said...

I'm so good at not eating at 3am. It's the waking part of the days that I can't get right.

I can't calculate anything, it hurts my brain. Not kidding. However I have a wierd tendency of counting stairs and figuring out how many letters are in a word by counting them out on my fingers. I prefer that words are even.

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Your awesomeness is astounding.
I am with you on the numbers thing- not a math person here, but I remember phone numbers and birthdays like no body's business. Also with you on the cleanliness thing. It's SO much work!!!
However, not with you on the Chuckarama thing. I'm not a food snob (but I do love to cook). I had a terrible pregnancy (puking) experience at HomeTown Buffet. I haven't been able to graze at a cafeteria since.

Adrianne said...

If I actually updated my blog might I have gotten a mention by name for being the cohort in accosting the would-be robbers?

mandy* said...

I'm going to follow your example and eat chocolate at 3 am. What an excellent idea!

Paige said...

Loved your funny things. I honestly didn't know that about you about the numbers! I know every phone number too AND everyone's socials and all our credit card numbers and bank account numbers and drivers license numbers and it's a pity I suck at math because my number autism is so wasted.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

I love that he knew he was going to marry you cause his mom said so....

♥Shally said...

I love the chocolate at night thing- my fix is Hershey's kisses.

I also am a messy person who likes things neat. My husband is always cleaning up after me. He is a naturally neat person, and always puts things away as he uses them. I think I frustrate him a bit!

the wrath of khandrea said...

apparently you are the fourth charlie's angel. did you bust the pickpockets in stilletos? while eating a honey butter scone? while counting the number of freckles on their faces?
ahh... little known facts. they're the best.

Elizabeth Caldwell said...

I shall send my husband over to help with the messy problem immedietly... I am terribly messy.. I spill TONS when I cook and I leave bits and stacks and piles behind me wherever I go at home... and my dear husband walks around behind me and says "It's ok princess - I'll get that cleaned up for you" What would I do without him??

And next time he leaves town you are going to come help me with the checkbook. I cant add 2 and 2!

Carie said...

We always called it Up-Chuck O Rama.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

2 things:

Love the first liner.

I can't believe the pickpocketing story.

Lisa-Marie said...

My marriage is also the product of an arrangement.

I too love Chuck-a-rama. BUT I call it Barf-a-rama so that no one will really know my true feelings for the place! I'm snobby like that.

Erin said...

Uh oh...if one of the uncles sees this, we're bound to hear an "UPChuck-a-rama" joke...never gets old does it? ;)

Hollyween said...

We call it up-chuck-your Grandma. We always called it that. FOR YEARS. And then one day (I'm dead serious about this story) a little kid threw up in the entry way and my grandma slipped and fell in it. No kidding. Now the name rings truth. DO you think it was our bad Karma?

Melinda said...

Loved hearing about how you met Ryan. I bet your parents were so excited that it worked out!! How fun!!

Annie said...

The lovely 7th grade Jessica would get along with the lovely 7th grade Annie, except then there would have to be time travel because I'm older than you. But, love the dress and the hairbow. (I wore a tuxedo shirt and red bow tie in one family photo.)

My husband's family meets at ChuckARama for Sunday dinner sometimes because somehow that's the only place where it's not breaking the Sabbath. Maybe because they don't hire waiters?:)

Cami said...

This is really fun. All of it. Way cool on the thwarting of pickpocketers.
I hear you on the messiness; Cam and Ryan seem to be on similar wavelengths...let's call 'em Cleanliness Nazis.
As for you marrying Ryan, it is funny how things all work out, isn't it?

brooke romney said...

I am also a huge mess maker and I love how comfortable you are with it. I love hearing all that stuff about you. So fun--you really are fabulous. Oh, and I hate Up chuck a rama, but I'll hit sweet tomatoes with you any day.

Jill said...

I feel like sisters now, I know you so well!!!!!!

Tammy said...

I loved this post! All true!