Monday, January 28, 2008

My Offering

This man was the President and Prophet of my church. He died yesterday, peacefully, at the age of 97 after serving the Lord all his life, and at President for 13 years.

This is why I loved him:

  • he was fearless
  • he was real
  • he was funny
  • he told us that his feelings got more tender as he grew older
  • he was tireless
  • he bore powerful testimony of what he believed
  • he LOVED his wife and missed her immensely after her death

I rejoice that he is receiving the rewards for his life of unfailingly service and purity: an eternal family, joy, rest and approbation from his Heavenly Father. I am grateful that all will continue in this Church in the same manner that it always has, that Christ will lead it through his next prophet and mouthpiece. I am unspeakably grateful that I get to be a part of it.

But... I will miss him.

**For a personal remembrance, go here.


12 comments:

Bridget said...

It is so strange to me to think of the church without Pres. Hinckley. He has been around for so long you kind of think of him as being a permanent feature. He will really be missed.

Lauren in GA said...

Thank you so much for that. It was so beautifully put. I will miss him so much,too.

Hollyween said...

I'm going to miss him immensely. I read Kara's post too and LOVED it.

Lindsey said...

Thanks for your comments, I don't think I can put my feelings into words, but I appreciate others sharing! BTW, I am the one that waved to you as you rounded the corner to piano lessons!!! :)

kara jayne said...

Thanks for the link in your post. I feel important now that the great Jessica thinks I'm worthy of a link. Seriously though, your posts are so great and always uplifting. Thanks for bringing a lot of light to the blogging world.

The Hansen Clan said...

Well said Jess... I couldn't agree more.

Kristin said...

You sad it all so wondfully. I miss him too.

Heather said...

After 5 months of getting my sweet students to finally say his name after I show a picture...I'm not real sure how to go to seminary today...

Ilene said...

He was truly love personified. You couldn't see him and NOT feel his love. I am so thankful that he was our prophet.

Tammy said...

I heard this on the news and instantly thought of you....and here you are blogging on it. I must have just knew. he sounds like a really amazing person.

jessica said...

I have a blog started but not yet posted about President Hinkley. I just didn't feel like I could express my thoughts the way I wanted to. You did a beautiful job, and have given me the push to finish my thoughts and post them...just not today...

rachel said...

What a sweet and tender post on our dear prophet.
Thank you.