Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Superlative Post


Most progress towards a new trick:

As I'm getting in the shower, Jane says "Oh, huh, wow." I say, "What?" Jane says "See dis?" I say, "Your fingernail clicking?" Jane says, "Yes and I'm so cited because I'm almost to snapping."


Nicest thing that someone did this week: Last Friday, I was just getting dressed when I heard it...the sound of the garbage truck leaving WITHOUT MY GARBAGE. I go zooming down the stairs and outside, in my bare feet (on snow), and see it on the court across from ours. I begin yelling, "PLEASE COME BACK~!!" And guess what? He backed that big old truck all the way back into my court and up to my garbage can and dumped it in!!!

Second Worst song of Christmas: So my super-cool and fun friend from college Carie has a blog (it's private, so I can't link you, which is too bad because it is fun). Yesterday she told the world that one of her favorite Christmas songs is "Last Christmas" by Wham! Um...there's only one song worse, in my opinion (Christmas in the Northwest, which is a regional favorite here). She seemed to think that because she had 3 whole commenters who liked it, that that meant it was a cool song. Has she not seen the cover of the single to the left?! So I decided to do a survey. Please comment and please tell us if you like it and if it not the worst Christmas song you know...what is?

Most stressful part of day: Trying to pee for my life insurance physical. We were at home, I had just gone to the bathroom and the nurse shows up. I could not, could not go. I drank a total of 10 c. of water, stood in warm water, all while the nice lady waited downstairs. Ryan was accusatory, but I could not help it. 8 minutes after she left, I tried again and succeeded. I called her cell phone and she came back for my, um, specimen. (Aren't my posts so awesome, with the bra story and now this?!)

Biggest accomplishment of week: Oh YEAH! Finished (and mailed) the Christmas cards. (Here's a re-enactment of the final licking.) NEVER NEVER NEVER homemaking them again. Appreciate it this year, because it's the last one EVER.



Worst charade player in our family: I am acting out the BEST Joseph you have ever seen in our Christmas charades game. Here's Gabe: "stocking? um, star? um, camel?" And then he laid on the ground and rocked for his "opening Christmas presents"--he said he was pretending to be a rocking horse. WHAT? And this picture is him being a Christmas tree. Try to avoid having him on your team, is all I'm saying.

Most expensive lunch ever: For the 7th day of Christmas, Ryan arranged a 70 minute lunch date. He had a babysitter all lined up and I drove downtown. We were going to go to a little cafe until Ryan informed me, that upon mentioning our lunch date to his boss, his boss offered to pay for the whole thing! So we quickly changed our plans to the most expensive restaurant we knew and enjoyed 2 drinks, 2 appetizers, soup and 2 entrees. It cost $70. For lunch. So fun. (And now I'm not mad about all his working. Because of one lunch. Talk about raising morale.)
Worst idea of the night: Gabe is the winner, here again! During the writing of this post, Gabe decides to relax on the second story railing of our 2 story staircase. OF COURSE he falls and makes the biggest thump on the wood floor you've ever heard. And now he can't move his ankle. He's not in pain when he's not moving, so we're applying ice, ibuprofen, elevation and an ace bandage. Cross your fingers for him.
(DON'T FORGET: Comment about all the fun stuff here, too, but MAKE SURE you vote regarding that oh-so-lovely song mentioned previously!)

29 comments:

Carie said...

Let me be the first to say that I personally LOVE the song "Last Christmas". It nursed me through a breakup (Keith Wilson, I was 15.) And if any one of you readers want an invite to my very private and exclusive blog email me: carieskinner@yahoo.com.

Hopefully further reading of my blog will let you know that there is much more to me than a Wham-Christmas-song-loving-girl.

Vote yes for Last Christmas!

Jill said...

Oh wow, that was a funny post!!!!!! Fabulous garbage man. You better give him a treat next week.
Fabulous lunch date. Soooooo jealous.
Hilarious pee story.
What else...? I need to go back and look. Oh yeah. You DON'T lick the envelopes!! Please tell me you didn't. That's what wet rags are for!
The song. I like that song, but I don't know if I've heard the wham version.
What am I missing????
I love your world!!!!!!!!!

Ilene said...

Christmas in the Northwest. I heard it for the first time last night and listened in half disbelief, half horror. It is just embarassingly bad. Oregon doesn't seem to claim it as its own because I never heard it the six years down there.

I'm not having Gabe on my team. I was always strapped down with a friend when playing pictionary (because the boys refused to have her on her team) and so I always lost. Hated that because I am a dang good pictionary-ier. Really and truly the problem was her.

Lorena said...

So, maybe we are not clones. I don't mind "Last Christmas" too much. I can't stand these:

Grandma got runover by a reindeer (it stays in my head and plays over and over, such as now.)

Anything with Alvin and the Chipmunks

Any duet that really never should have been paired together for the sake of all that is human (such as Rosie O'Donnell and Elmo...WHAT??)

I sure hope Gabe is OK. That's all you need right before Christmas.

And...Ryan is definitely showing everyone up with his attentiveness and great boss.

Celia Fae said...

I don't know if I've ever heard that tune. Perhaps you could put it on your blog for us to hear. Oh wait, I hate it when people do that.

I'm already invited to read Carie. I think I'll hop over right now.

Too bad about the crummy charades players. Clearly you need some acting lessons at your house. Come over. We'll show you how to ACT bratty.

Lauren in GA said...

All you have to do is get sweet Jane all the way to snapping, you to be able to pee on command, and Gabe to master charades, and life will be even more splendid than you thought imaginable!

I don't like that "I Wanna Hippopotamus for Christmas" song because it gets stuck in my head...

Oh, uh sorry if it is stuck in your's now, too...

I like how Gabe is trying to help you lick that envelope...such a service oriented child!

Kristin said...

From on ortho wife, if he can't walk on it, you should take him in for xrays, sorry. I love your garbage man, my once stopped so I could run him down with a bag full of dirty diapers that Matt forgot to put out. Not a big fan of the song.

Jake said...

Hate Wham! Hate that song.

I love your wallpaper...

Christie said...

Oh, that Wham song is PUHRETTY bad. I had never even seen the album cover and I still hated it. Now I hate it twice as much.

I've got one worse for you though - have you ever heard the Muppets sing the Twelve Days of Christmas? It's pretty bad. My kids find it hilarious, which should tell you just how awful it is.

the wrath of khandrea said...

let's play american idol. first i'll be a fan and text "SLAM WHAM" to you. then i'll be simon and say (in my condescending british accent) "that was puh-haps the wuhst puhfohmance i've evah seen by two men who shoood ahkshooally be women."
lastly, i'll be a network executive, and rig the vote by using PnC's secret blog to drum up mass voting against the group i hate.
oooh! that was fun! and WHAM's LAST CHRISTMAS is OUT!

Hollyween said...

Okay. A few things:

Don't like the Wham song although I totally USED to. Ya know, when I was 15. But it's not as bad as "christmas shoes" which is currently playing. HATE IT!

It's my name on the envelope. Thanks for sharing it with the whole world. I'm so excited I'm getting a card. I need to know if you got mine? I'm still feeling paranoid that I didn't send it.

Sorry you couldn't pee. That always happened to me at the OB's office and the girl would always tell me that she only needed a couple of drops. Wha?

I need to know your hair method. I'm sensing we have the same texture only mine doesn't look as good as yours.

Celia, I figured you didn't like music on blogs. Actually, I don't either. I always turn it down. I think I'll be putting a play option on mine so if people WANT to they can hear it. There. Are you happy now??

♥Shally said...

I am going to have to agree with Carie. I LOVE THAT SONG! Taylor Swift has a remake, and I LOVE THAT ONE TOO!! :) I turn it up every time it comes on the radio and sing at the top of my lungs (much to the delight of my kids, who now love the song also...)Of course, I grew up in the eighties, and therefore like all the Wham! greats. I might go get my ipod now and listen to a little "FAITH"!

Lorena said...

Are you all attacking the music player that I work on so diligently?

Totally offended, totally!

Bridget said...

Wow, that's some serious pressure to pee! I don't think I could handle that. And running after the garbage man screaming is such a great mental image. Maybe that garbage man is posting about the crazy lady who pleaded with him to come back.

♥Shally said...

Okay, I watched your "Barf training" video. Died laughing. Thanks for the great teaching tool!

Anonymous said...

first - hate the song...

and I think that the inability to pee was Karma for buying insurance elsewhere...

just sayin.. LOL

zeeny said...

Not a huge fan of WHAM but love the song...SORRY! Your family seems like so much fun...I want to come play! What a great garbage man. When I was in labor with B we were pulling out of the driveway and the neighbor pulled ahead of us. He then pulled up along the trash truck trying to get the guy to come back to get his trash. Little did he know I was in major labor and we couldn't get by him. Once he realized what was going on he felt really bad and quickly moved his car! Long story, sorry. Y

Summer said...

Okay, usually don't comment, but I have such strong feelings about that song that I must say I CAN'T STAND it. Seeing the album cover helped intensify my feelings. Never heard the Christmas in the Northwest one so that might be worse, but for now "Last Christmas" is definitely the worst.

Tiffany said...

I've never heard of "Last Christmas" so I can't vote. What a great boss! And, I'm loving that you posted about the 12 days of Christmas that Ryan does for you. Josh, if you can believe it, actually read it before me -- then showed it to me. I'm hoping it sparked some ideas for him!

Paige said...

BAD BAD song. I agree. And I will make sure Gabe isn't on my team, but I'm also sure you will change your mind about the cute cards!

My kids have auto-panic when they hear the garbage truck because we all have to run out there and pull the cans down our long driveway. I'm very relieved he came back. can you imagine the Christmas garbage back-up you would have???

Lisa-Marie said...

NEVER heard the song. Sorry. Or from the sounds of all the other comments, I guess I'm really not!

And you have a brother here? Hello! Of course you could stop in and visit!!!!Any time. Any time. What fun. Let's get Denae to come at the same time. Her bro is here too. Though you girls have already met you lucky bummers!!!

Kirbell said...

Great post. I personally like the WHAM song because it totally makes me laugh. Sometimes, I need a good laugh during Christmas, especially by the time I'm licking that last Christmas card. Way to go, Jessica!

crystal said...

I love the $70 lunch! You needed it, sister.

I also love the nice garbage man. Send him my way, b/c we forget to set ours out every other week.

crystal said...

p.s. That #$@%&* Wham song makes me want to bash someone.

Cami said...

I have loved, and will always love WHAM! Last Christmas has been over-played this year and I'm getting a teensy-bit sick of it.
The album cover is so silly, so 80s and poor Andrew Ridgley.

Cami said...

Oh Alvin and the Chipmunks stuff. Yuck. The 50s are over and so is the primative technology!

AZ Karen said...

My kids thought the fingernail clicking thing was snapping too...it's so cute how they try to be big like the older kids.

While I'm not crazy about the song 'Last Christmas' I do love Wham! And George Michael...good stuff. I guess that's a dead giveaway to my age, huh? Oh well.

I hope Gabe is okay...it would be a bummer to get a broken ankle for Christmas. 2 nights ago, I sent my kids to a neighbor's house to pick a lemon off their tree (with permission, of course). They decided that the older one would lift the younger one up into the tree. I told them to look for a nice, big one. So the lemon drops and hits the older one on the arm...at which point, she decides her arm is broken...by a falling lemon...oh the drama.

I'm jealous of your lunch.

Heather said...

I love the Wham song. (suck it Mark Willard...)

Santa Baby? Old Man Love-ick.
I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus? Adulterous mom- double ick.

Worst ever?
I wanna be your santa claus-The Ritz. Annoying annoying annoying.

brooke romney said...

Agreed. Last Christmas is the worst song. "Simply having a wonderufl Christmas time" is next (thought my kids LOVE it). And your bathroom wallpaper is to die for!!