Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sunday Summary

Stuff that happened this week:

Yearly Meaningful Ornaments on the Too-Small-Tree Tradition
In Ryan's family, they had a special tree. Each year they would add one ornament that represented the biggest thing that happened that year. We have continued that tradition and did it for FHE this week. This year's ornament was a big, beaded State of Texas representing our cruise (we left from Texas, sailed with all southerners and spent a few days visiting San Antonio). Really meaningful. (Usually it's a baby, or a move, or--for the first kid, but none of the others--first day of kindergarten, but thankfully this year was pretty quiet).
Ryan ditched me for an entire week.
He had a conference in San Jose and continued to work until the wee hours of the morning, while there. He assures me he is now done, but I don't believe him. I know some of you have husbands who leave a lot more, for a lot longer. My deepest condolences. I barely survived: I started crying when I got in the shower on Monday morning, after he had left and realized the hot water heater was not working. I'm NOT the kind of girl that fixes her hot water heater. Luckily, I have a neighbor who is. We had hot showers all week and Ryan got home on Friday. All is right with the world.

The Creche display.


We drove up to a stake center in the South part of Spokane and saw approximately 2000 nativities. It was very well done, the kids were enthralled (truly!), and we were glad we went. Seth, of course, found EVERY SINGLE nativity animal in the children's area and lined them all up on the nearest table:


The Rowell's Christmas party
Our next door neighbor hosted a fabulous party, where we all fought over some AWESOME ornaments and ate tons of food. We thought our ornament would outshine them all (an effigy of Homer Simpson tenderly embracing a can of "Duffs" beer larger than he was). To our chagrin, we were out-"classed" by our friends who found an overweight, buck-toothed, ethnically diverse showgirl complete with fishnets and a torn sequin dress. And then we got it stolen from us. Bummer.
We also played our famous "Name Game", except everyone left before the Charades round (our favorite) and so I proceeded to do my own charades of Elvis, Dwight Shrute and Shakira--Ryan guessed every one. I'm that good.
Baking Day
What better way to celebrate the birth of Savior than with 2 bags of sugar? Seriously. And 5 pounds of butter. We all totally felt the Spirit after sampling all day till we felt sick and squabbling over which of us had to go to the store to pick up more ribbon.

Okay, really, this is one of my favorite traditions and we had lots of help from the kids and enjoyed giving them to friends and neighbors. (The first paragraph was my sugar-hangover talking.)
I'm boring today. Maybe your comments can liven things up?

25 comments:

Paige said...

You are too busy cookin' and wrappin' to blog it up. But you still did it. I got nothing. Nothing to post, so I posed nothing. I love all the pictures of your baking and including the husbands tradition.

Jeff's family tradition is to drink as much as they can Christmas Eve and then pass out and forget to wake up for Christmas. I believe the drinking started at about age 10. I was all for this tradition, but he prefers the usual baking and nativity re-enactment. How boring.

Ilene said...

Thanks for leaving a quarter pound of butter at our house. It is all gone and I would like to say the kids help devour it, but they didn't. Dan did help, though (loved those cherry sugar cookie things. recipe please?).

I felt bad I didn't have my camera in Relief Society today to capture Seth's singing "Follow The Prophet" with his primary chums. I thought you could use it for your blog. He looked cute and sang valiantly through all 2000 verses (seriously, both the kids and us sisters were wondering when Sis Krump (sp?) was going to let the kids off the hook and wrap up the song).

Ilene said...

I mean Gabe. I promise I do know your kids' names.

crystal said...

You're already down from your sugar high? What treats did you make???

AND SERIOUSLY!!! You were Amy Hanson's 8th-grade-BFF? That is so funny! I love it! She lives about 2 miles away from me & I love being in their fam. That's it--I'm putting you on my sidebar. After all, we're practically family.

Jessica said...

Crystal--
I made Romney fudge, Spritz, Cherry Crumb Cake bars and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup cookies...maybe I should include recipes tomorrow?

Does Mike remember me?

Kara said...

I would love the recipies too. It was all delicious, especially the cherry crumb bars. Thanks for including us!

Nortorious said...

You look skinny in that picture. And I'm not trying to suck up for the clap comment.
I don't really think you have STDs.

Jake said...

I'm so glad you got the hot water fixed. That stuff always happens the minute husbands leave. Please post the recipes. My cookie swap is this week and I need to kick things up a notch!

AZ Karen said...

Wow! You made all those things in one day AND let you kids help? And you called it HELP? I'm impressed. That's a lot of cooking!

We make spritz, too. I knew I liked you. As for all the rest...they sound yummy. I'll be waiting for the recipes (because I'm behind and haven't even begun to think of when/how to accomplish the Christmas baking). Way to go!

Anisa said...

I'm with you on the husband gone thing. I know tons of moms whose husbands travel and work late and such. I can't handle it if Ryan is 10 minutes late. And really, it's for my children's safety that he is always home.

Linsey said...

Yes please, all recipes are always welcomed. Especially whatever it was you used Marshmallow Creme for. I am 4 days from the promised land and can't wait to get down to some serious baking with every ingredient I can imagine (it will also ease the pain of being away from Kenny for 3 months). The more uniquely American the better!

What happens when you run out of space on the already too-small tree?

Lauren in GA said...

I felt your pain about Ryan not being home all week. Mike had to move to Georgia before the rest of us because our house in Virginia (our homeland, if you will) had not sold yet, and he had to start at his new workplace. It was such a harrowing time (that blasted house in Virginia didn't sell for 4 months) At any rate, I echo the sentiment of your offering condolances to anyone whose husband has to travel a lot.
As always, this was a great post. I loved that Seth lined up all the little animals...so cute...
Signed,
Your BBF Always!
Lauren (I do, all but, worship you...er...did that frighten you?

Celia Fae said...

My family of origin's family tradition is to fight over who got the best presents and then watch Nate drive away in his new car.

Sorry that Ryan ditched you. I wish you could have come with him and visited again and made the rest of the blogging world jealous.

Dying to see the Simpson's ornament. My mom gives Carl a Homer ornament every year. Probably because he drinks so much beer.

Hollyween said...

My husband left me too. The difference between you and I is that I didn't bake a million cookies while he was gone. I really don't know how you do it. 4 kids, husband gone, broken water heater, look cute in the kitchen, make cookies, house is clean, charades.... I could go on.
And since you do it all, I would like the recipes so I can at least "try" to be as good as you.

Penny said...

Hey, thanks for the cookies!! I know that some were missing by the time we got home. But I ate the fudge and it was awesome. Yes, the recipes would be great.

And you rock at charades! I know how bummed you were that "the big fat lady" ornament was stolen from you. I know because I have proof - a picture of you with the "big fat lady". Let me know if you want it. It would be a nive addition to your blog. We brought that freaky lion on the swing, by the way. It was a ton of fun. We need to do that more often!

Penny said...

Nice addition, not nive. Sorry, it's Monday...

rachel said...

Wow that looks like so much fun. I'm craving holiday sweets now. You are making great memories for your kids.

Christie said...

Yeah, my husband once took a business trip with a detour for some skiing in Utah first. Literally hours after he left I went downstairs to find six inches of water in my basement from the water heater giving out. Let's just say I had a lot of tears and cold showers that weekend. He's still trying to make it up to me.

And "nothing celebrates the birth of the Savior like 5 pounds of sugar?" It's shameful how funny I found that line. Classic.

Abbie said...

Having husbands leave is not fun! I really hate when Forrest goes out of town (which hasn't been too often - we've been lucky). I can't imagine taking care of FOUR kids w/o daddy. I barely survive with 1 1/2.

And yes, you should always report your recipes when posting yummy pictures.

Lisa-Marie said...

Yes, recipes please! It all sounds delightful! Just last night my hubby asked if we are going to make 150 eclairs again this year? Ummmmmm? Not so sure.

Bridget said...

I got my first plate of holiday fudge this weekend from a friend. I am thinking about giving out clementines instead of cookies this year. Not only because I am feeling lazy but we are so sugar overloaded here. Maybe I'll lose friends doing that though. Hmmmm......

Jill said...

My husband's job sucks and he is gone all the time. I barely survive and I only have one child...I FEEL your pain.
It's a wonder how we ever do survive, but we are SUPERWOMEN, lest we forget!
Sugar definitely helps too. I wish I had some of yours right now...yummmmmmm.

Brown Sugar said...

you better check seth's pockets- I think some of the nativity scenes might be missing some of their players. I agree- we should have married the cardigan loving Jeff Wycoff- ours hands and feet would thank us.

AMY said...

I agree. Sugar fixes everything. Good thing you had lots on hand. Great tradition by the way. Next year maybe your ornament could be a mini water heater.

Lorena said...

I wasn't trying to dog you with my non-comments my dear, sweet niece. I have just been a'reading and not a'commenting. I still love you, though, and wish I lived by you to enjoy your yummies...way better than chicken soup!