Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Oh yes, it's #2


I know you are shocked that I'm actually going to tell you about each book as I finish it. But I am. Too bad if you are not a reader and it's boring, and if you are reader and think it's boring, then you need to look inside yourself and find out why you don't find joy in the reading accomplishments of others.

Now...I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan last night (thanks to Kirsten for the recommendation via your blog). The reason I finished it in 2 days is because it is really, really interesting. Ryan, who doesn't read as fast as me, listens to CDs that I get him at the library and when he listened to this book, he didn't like it. But he was wrong. It was so fascinating because it told me all this stuff about Chinese culture that I didn't know. I felt like I was learning and reading at the same time (kind of like when I read Shopaholic). So read it, cause it was very good.

7 comments:

Cami said...

I've never heard of this, but just requested it from the library. I have previously enjoyed many books that remark on ancient Asian cultures. Kind of a: If I like Amy Tan (The Joy Luck Club) I assume I'll like this one.

Celia Fae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Celia Fae said...

Could you please have some half naked pictures during your book reviews? BTW, he is not more funny than you. You sell yourself short.

Paige said...

OK, I have to know what Celia said that was deleted. Bad Bad Celia. I loved this book too! Doesn't make you proud of your big feet?

Ashley said...

OK - so I share this book recommendation w/ you realizing I will most likely get hate mail from Ryan. But, I am reading this FANTASTIC book called "Wild Swans" that you will find completely fascinating, compelling, educational, etc. This book is banned in China - the homeland of the author. It's a memoir of her grandmother, mother, & her in communist China during the time of Mao. She tells it like it is not subscribing to the brain washing tactics that the Chinese government wants their citizens to believe. AMAZING!

Jessica said...

Okay, I read Wild Swans and it's one of my favorite of all time. And it's one of the few Ryan actually read with his eyes and he loves it as well, so he's not a complete misogynist racist. =)

Sally said...

I loved this book too! By the way I am a friend of Paige's, just looking over her shoulder (metaphorically) at your blog!