Sunday, January 27, 2013

December Report

(Oh I’m getting so close to catching up!)

We were pretty good this year at doing one on one dates with the kids every other month.  In December Ryan and Seth went to a do it yourself pottery place and out for yogurt.  Jane and I went to the neighboring stake’s production of Annie and a gas station visit that resulted in Mamba’s (because: yum.)

IMG_1850

We had the usual spate of Christmas concerts and events.  In 8 days, we went to 7 concerts/meets the second week of December.  I took a few pictures, but they’ll show up in the Instagram post.

Jane was in a cute Activity Days play:

2

 

I am continually surprised at how easy Christmas decorating is with older kids to help.  I turned my back and the tree was done (with Emma saying in the same not-so-nice she heard for years from me “Um, that’s not where that goes.  Here just let me do it!!”)

    6 

Ryan’s work party was all kinds of fun this year.  They did it at the ritzy hotel downtown and had a fun faux-gambling activity planned and great food, but mostly I like picking out my party outfit and chatting with my good friend Tessa, who’s husband also works there.

IMG_6594IMG_6600

We went to a few of the usual holiday events (our Christmas cookie exchange with neighbors and the Rowells annual adult gathering) and a few new ones (Liberty Lake tree lighting and the gingerbread house event downtown):

IMG_6651IMG_6652

Christmas break was super fun.  It snowed like crazy the first day and we sledded and played in it all day, we did gingerbread houses, we did our Christmas tradition stuff, I tore my ACL, we did a few New Years things and then it was over.  No “How am I supposed to entertain these people for 5 more days in the depths of winter” or anything.

1 345

 

 

Ryan was a superstar and did the 12 days of Christmas for me, which included back rubs, running gear (boo hoo!), an arranged lunch with girl friends, a night out alone, a day when he stayed home from work, a spice cabinet and a Clarisonic (eee!).  It’s my favorite thing that during the most stressful time of year, I have that daily treat to look forward to.  Here’s one of us having lunch together:

7

We also made lots of cookies and took them to people and I gained my usual 10 lbs.  (Lame.)

IMG_6645

We were all by ourselves this Christmas and we still had a lovely time.  After much debate, we decided to repeat our Brazillian grill restaurant choice from last year.  It was a pretty day and every obliged me by putting on their holiday shirts. 

IMG_1966

We went to Legends of the Guardians (cute) as usual, but then were sad to have to do the Bethlehem dinner sans Daines this year (Hawaii, pfft!).  We had a simple hummus spread and enjoyed dressing up and a simple nativity re-enactment (we needed those Daines cousins desperately for that one). 

Of course we opened PJs.

Christmas morning was nice.  Everyone seemed happy.  Jane was on her kindle, the boys played Legos, Faith and Jane had Soap Opera world with all her new dollhouse stuff until I shut that dysfunction down, and we all watched movies together.  I did the unusual and decided to do a simple dinner (Clam chowder, rolls and pies) and it was the best decision of the month.  I actually relaxed and enjoyed my Christmas.  Honestly, Christmas 2013 was my favorite year ever.

IMG_1970IMG_1972

Ryan (ward scoutmaster extraordinaire) organized a snow shoeing/campout for the last weekend of December and it was a rousing success.  Lots of good dutch oven dinners, pancakes from a mix, fires and snow caves made for the perfect Boy Scout event, apparently.  (He left me 12 hours after my injury, but we managed just fine). 

IMG_1983IMG_2002IMG_2008

We rang in the New Year with our awesome progressive party:  Finger foods at Foxes (last minute change after the busted knee), games by Youngs at Shenemans (so so so fun.  Especially the limbo party.  We got some bendy Mamas in our group.) and dessert at the Beykirchs.  Honestly best New Years Eves I’ve ever had.  It’s a genius set-up, I tell you.  You’ve just got to not be scared of 50 people at your house for an hour.

       IMG_2016

How sad is my Crutch dancing:

IMG_2020    

 

And that’s it for 2012!

3 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Seth's yogurt cracked me up...he and my boys have similar tastes...worms sticking out of your yogurt is a true delicacy in my sons' informed opinions...

I laughed at the, "(Hawaii, pfft!).

I wish Ryan was my boys' scoutmaster. Mike would DIE of happiness to have him here.


jessica said...

I knew I would hate this post....it was going to recap all of the events that I would have been too :( Except the work party but I know I would have contributed in some way to your outfit and I'm sad about that. Will being gone ever get easier???! Miss you! Oh and um YES! I read and look at the side bar and it makes me realize that I need to update mine too!

Elizabeth said...

I love these recaps (I am still only up to Sept 2012!). Your outfit for the work party is so so classy. Pink shoes.... I die!