Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Sunday Summary without relevant pictures because Emma broke our camera. Third camera in 3 years, but who’s counting?

1

I had a choice between a glasses shot and a non-glasses shot.  You know why I chose the non-glasses one?? Because Emma got contacts this week, that’s why!  She got dropped off at the appointment, because I had to take Gabe to piano and when I got back to pick her up, she was all ready to go.  The ladies at the front desk were all, “She is one mature girl.  She just walked in here and said ‘I’m Emma Romney and I have an appointment at 3:30.  And then she figured out so fast how to put her contacts in and out.  We’ve never seen a 4th grader that competent ever.”  Yep.  That’s what happens when you are the oldest of 5 kids and your mom forgets you aren’t 22. 

She loves her contacts—no slipping off during basketball,  no blurriness when peeking out of the corner of her eyes, and we can see her beautiful blue eyes even better now.

And she actually finished her Mini-Book assignment on time.  Mature?  yes, but that girl gets a teensy bit distracted when it comes to completing projects.  Thanks to cousin Mallory for inviting her to a sleepover and, thus, providing needed incentive.

5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yesterday we took all five kids ice skating.  Which was lunacy.   Two of our five children can actually ice skate and so it wasn’t so much ice skating as having various children hang all over you as you limp around the rink.  ANYWAY, Gabe came skating up to me, yelling, “Hey mom, I just went all the way around the rink without …WOAH…(falls to the ice).  Never mind.”

School was exciting for Gabe this week because a) they are learning about Native Americans and he can’t stop talking about it and b)their classroom got roof repair and so he got to have class in the room with the ovens.  Apparently he got to bake stuff.

8

Anyone want to tell me why my 5 year old cries more than my 3 year old?  Sheesh.  I find copying her in a demeaning way works well toward curbing the behavior.

In more-like-a-five-year old news, JANE IS READING. I realized over Christmas that she was completely ready and if I hadn’t been preoccupied with the other 48 people that live in my house she probably could have been reading months ago (she was that ready).  She just started sounding out words and blending and remembering words like I’ve never seen a beginning reader do before.  Very exciting.

And, no, she still hasn’t lost the tooth, though she prays every night:  “Please bless I will lose my tooth and the Tooth Fairy will give me lots of money.”

14 

Seth continues to take no less than 20 minutes to use the bathroom (including pants removal and reapplication and hand-washing).  I’m serious.  We are working on “No Leaving The Bathroom Unless Your Pants Are Back On.” 

He loves his Christmas game Cranium’s Hullabaloo.  I basically just love to hear him say the word and figure out ways to get him to repeat the game’s title the whole time we are playing. 

He giggled LIKE CRAZY while he crazily slipped all over the ice yesterday.  It made the whole thing fun because he seemed to think the point of ice-skating was to slip all over while his parents tried to keep him upright.  I giggled my way around the rink whenever I was assigned to Jello boy.

IMG_2983

Big news!  Faith’s clogged tear-duct cleared out!  Ryan was wiping the gunk out and it just started draining and it has been crystal clear since then. 

I know.  What if you hadn’t read the Summary this week and missed that?!

Also?  She sleeps from 9 pm to 7 am every night.  Awesome, huh?

And, really, why does it continue to be HILARIOUS when Ryan makes Faith’s arms move like she’s doing something real?  Tonight Emma taught us a church song (for a Faith in God thing) and she taught us actions to go along.  So Ryan makes Faith’s arms move approximating the actions and we are ON THE FLOOR dying of laughter.

How To Have Fun With Your 2 Month Old.

IMG_0094

Ryan and I are rocking our Biggest Loser competition (in an attempt to look like we did in the picture, pre-anniversary cruise, again)…I’ll have to post the rules later, because it is SO motivating.  Ryan’s grown a beard and is waiting till he hits a certain weight to cut it.  You can imagine the comments he gets from everyone, but I think it’s sexy. 

We had a fun night out with the Daines (Ryan’s sister and brother in law) and pumped them for Love and Logic info while eating yummy food. 

It’s still January so Ryan is still really busy, but we try to be patient with him. 

Due to the Love and Logic info gleaned last night, Emma will be paying for the camera she broke in $1 job increments….it will probably take her till June, but we’ll be purchasing one soon.  Stay tuned for pictures of Emma sans contacts, Gabe with a Native American headdress, Jane reading and Ryan with a beard.  We’ll spare you Faith’s cleared up tear duct…and Seth emerging pants-less from his long Potty odyssey. 

Even I think some things aren’t blogworthy. 

Till next week…

 

 

 

26 comments:

Brooke said...

Fun pics of the kids. I wish I were there for the l&l pumping. Hope you guys plan a trip to visit. I am desperate for visitors.

the wrath of khandrea said...

that picture of jane is fabulous. sounds like a highly entertaining week... or at least your ability to make it seem as such is noteworthy.

we have one paying for a broken hot wheels racetrack in $1 jobs over here. it makes me feel so good, because the "object lesson money" will actually only go to buy him back his broken racetrack, which he will repair and play with. the real cash will buy me a new sweater.

love it.

Abbie said...

You make me LAUGH so much! I love these summaries.

We're going to Utah in June. You'll be there, right? I'll get back to you about dates and such, but we will be there in June even if I have to walk with my kids strapped to my back.

The day I got contacts was the biggest day of my life before I was 18. It was amazing. Thank you for letting Emma get them and not worrying about how she could be irresponsible. She won't. He life now depends on those contacts.

Abbie said...

I mean her not he. I know Emma's a girl.

Note to self: proof read comments before you hit publish.

Nancy said...

GO EMMA! I used to work for an optometrist and I taught people how to put in contacts. It's hard for most adults to take them in and out the first time, but I've worked with a 4th grader before and it took HOURS to teach her. Emma is so grown up!

stephanie said...

I'm impressed. I got invited to go ice skating with my five kids this week and I said NO WAY. Of course their dad was not going to be there, so...
You sound like you're doing great (except the camera thing). Thanks for your comment on my break-down post.

♥Shally said...

Zach used to do the baby arms thing with our kids, and honestly, it makes me laugh just thinking about it. I am the only one awake, and I am laughing right now.

Don't know why that is so funny, BUT IT IS! :)

Laurie said...

We really need to hook Jane and Jake up. He was reading all on his own really early too. No idea how that came about. Plus, Ryan would be impressed with his thriftiness--this is my kid who would rather keep a penny than toss it in a wishing well.

Laurie said...

Speaking of baby arms . . . we are all totally dying when Dan does "President Pete."

Laurie said...

Dan wants me to tell you that he drew the line at "Jesus Pete," despite the requests and obvious comedic gold mine.

Bethany said...

You should just post pictures of the man from snowy river so everyone know what Ryan looks like with a beard. And, you DO look like his love in the movie- isn't her name Jess?

Ilene said...

Highly entertaining summary. Points for you being able to do this without pictures. Your narration was excellent and didn't make me miss the lack of accompanying pictures.

I can't even picture Ryan with a beard.

jessica said...

Ryan's beard is really throwing Maya off. She just can't understand it. It has been brought up quite a few times the past couple of weeks...the most recent comment was "I wonder if Jessica kisses him with that thing?"

Lauren in GA said...

I love your summaries. You are so funny!
Adam had a clogged tear duct as a newborn until he was about 8 months old. I was so gleeful that it cleared on its own because the pediatrician kept scaring me by telling me it may have to be cleared with some sort of a procedure at the pediatic opthamologist that sounded frightening. That is so great that Faith's duct cleared!

Your kids are so fantastic! I love hearing about all of them. Emma is so beautiful and her eyes are stunning. How fun that she has contacts now.

I really admire that Seth is making such strides in remembering to wear pants upon leaving the bathroom. I forget myself sometimes. Great job to him!

Cami said...

I'm not sure I believe you about the camera. I mean, who has that kind of bad luck? ;)
I was glad to hear about the tear duct because Dane had that issue until he was 3 and had to have a procedure done to clear it out at Primary Children's Hospital. I'm glad you don't have to go through that.
I also loved the non-relevant photos.

Margaret said...

What a great post...even without the pictures!

I just figured out my almost 5 year old can read to. He is our fourth. So, we were very surprised as well!

Erin said...

Excellent summary. Excellent. Did you know that Spencer teaches Love and Logic? Well, he does. Do you know much I know about Love and Logic? I'll give you a hint...it rhymes with shmuthing. ;)

Tammy said...

Such a fun post, great photos and you make me feel like I am right there, knowing all the intricacies of your life and children. i want to hear more about the biggest loser competition....

Hollyween said...

That was an extremely entertaining summary. I think maybe your best ever. Maybe it's because I relate to the clogged tear duct thing. Did you know that I had to have Levi's PROBED when he was 8 months old? They kept telling me and TELLING me that it would clear up and it never did. So they probed it and brought him back to me with blood dripping out of his eye and his nose. Nice. And so sad.

The baby arms thing is hilarious. I laughed just picturing it.
Please share more details about your biggest loser competition. I think it deserves its own post.

Bridget said...

Emma is so cute! Good for her for mastering the contacts. You are one lucky momma with that sleepign schedule of Faith's too! That's awesome.

Jenibelle said...

1. Faith needs to be your favorite child for sleeping so well.
2. A 4th grader with contacts? I don't think my almost 15 year old is mature enough. Thank you for the ammunition.
3. Jane was just waiting til life slowed down to spring reading on you!
4. Life would have really sucked if one of your kids broke a leg skating, you dodged a bullet there.
5. Definitely post the beard picture.

shauna said...

Your kids are so lucky to have to recording the many parts of their growing up years--even though this is a camera-less period. You could use the broken camera as an excuse to get an even "more awesome" one?!

Carie said...

Hailey (12) has had contacts for over a year. She LOVES them.

Great pics.

I can't get enough of that adorable Faith!

Jake said...

I'm still too chicken to try contacts. Maybe Emma can come with me to the eye doc?!

Rochelleht said...

I'm SOOOO glad that there are other 5 year olds out there throwing tantrums. Does that validate my own problems? Probably not, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

wenderful said...

Oooh, I want to see those rules! I need a little motivation.